Bonds that Built the University
On December 19, 1890, Governor George W. Steele approved a bill for the establishment of three state educational campuses. A university campus would be located at Norman on the condition that Cleveland County vote bonds to provide $10,000 to construct a building and residents were required to donate 40 acres of land. The bonds were sold to an Oklahoma City man for $7,200. The remaining $2,800 was raised by subscription from Norman businessmen. Just five days before the one-year deadline, the $10,000 was delivered to the territorial treasurer. This bond is in the John Womack Collection at the University Librariesí Western History Collections.