University of Oklahoma Libraries Western History Collections
CHOCTAW NATION MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
Locke, Victor M., Jr. Papers 1900-1927 .10 foot
Indian chief. Typescript of newspaper articles (1900-1927) regarding the allotment of land in the Choctaw Nation and Locke's role in the Choctaw tribal government.
1. South McAlester Capital, February 1, 1900. "An Interview with V.M. Locke" re: being in favor with early allotment, abolishing the Choctaw courts, and selling the town lots at the government price per acre.
2. Oklahoma State Capital, February 15, 1911: "Appointment of V.M. Locke" as governor of the Choctaw Nation to succeed Green McCurtain.
3. Capital Democrat, April 28, 1921 (2 articles): "Appointment of V.M. Locke" as Superintendent of the Five Civilized Tribes; "News Item of V.M. Locke" re: Locke's appointment as Superintendent.
4. Ardmore Statesman, May 3, 1923: "Tribal Meeting" in opposition to the "Locke Plan" of capitalizing the assets of the Chickasaw and Choctaw tribes and establishing a system of Indian schools.
5. Johnston County Capital Democrat, September 29, 1927: "News item of V.M. Locke" re: his arrest for the murder of Abner Battiste.