University of Oklahoma Libraries Western History Collections
CHICKASAW NATION MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
Harris, Robert M. (1851-1927) Printed materials 1896-1927 .33 foot
Governor. Typescripts of newspaper articles (1896-1927) regarding Harris's term as governor of the Chickasaw Nation from 1896-1898 and Chickasaw legislation, along with biographical information on Harris.
1. Indian Citizen, September 24, 1896: "Portion of Message of R.M. Harris" to the Chickasaw legislature.
2. Purcell Register, September 24, 1896: "Editorial on Message of R.M. Harris" to the Chickasaw legislature, in which he spoke about the Nation's finances.
3. Purcell Register, September 24, 1896: "Editorial on Message of R.M. Harris. Similar to the above article.
4. Purcell Register, October 1, 1896: "An Act of R.M. Harris" amending the game law.
5. South McAlester Capital, December 3, 1896: "Interview with R.L. McLish" about the present situation of affairs relating to allotment and a treaty.
6. Special Message of R.M. Harris to the Legislature of the Chickasaw Nation. re: the Dawes Commission, allotment, and other legislative affairs.
7. Daily Capital, January 23, 1897: "An Act signed by R.M. Harris" creating a commission to visit Washington, DC to protest against the ratification by Congress of the agreement made and entered into between the Dawes Commission, on the part of the United States, and the Choctaws.
8. Indian Citizen, January 28, 1897: "An Act signed by R.M. Harris". The same act as described above.
9. Special Message of R.M. Harris to the Chickasaw Legislature. re: the Dawes-Choctaw Treaty, February 25, 1897.
10. Indian Citizen, March 4, 1897: "Report of Chickasaw Commission signed by R.M. Harris" on the protest against the ratification of the Dawes-Choctaw Treaty.