University of Oklahoma Libraries Western History Collections
CHEROKEE NATION MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
Mayes, Samuel Houston (1845-1927) Printed materials 1882-1928 .66 foot
Indian chief. Typescripts of newspaper articles (1882-1928) relating to Mayes's tenure as principal chief of the Cherokees and his negotiations with the Dawes Commission, the preparation of the tribal roll, and the assignment of lands.
1. Letter from S. H. Mayes to the National Council, regarding payment for collecting taxes as sheriff of Cooweescoowee District, Dec. 7, 1882.
2. Letter from Mayes to editor of the Indian Chieftain denying charge he offered D. W. Bushyhead the office of the treasurer in return for support of Downing ticket in coming election, from Indian Chieftain, June 30, 1887.
3. Editorial on Bob Ross and Mayes from the Tulsa Review, Jan. 4, 1895.
4. Editorial on Mayes from the Tulsa Review, March 8, 1895.
5. Editorial on election of Mayes as chief from the Wagoner Record, April 26, 1895.
6. Editorial on election of Mayes as chief from the Fairland News, Aug. 9, 1895.
7. Editorial on Mayes and Ross from the Fairland News, May 17, 1895.
8. Letter from J. F. Thomson, Cherokee delegate, to Hoke Smith, Secretary of Interior, regarding intruders on Cherokee lands, from the Fairland News, May 17, 1895.
9. Editorial on Mayes from the Cherokee Champion, May 22, 1895.
10. Ibid., May 29, 1895.
11. Ibid., June 5, 1895.
12. Letter from Mayes to Washington Swimmer accepting Downing party nomination for chief, from the Indian Chieftain, June 6, 1895.
13. Editorial on Mayes and Ross from the Fairland News, June 14, 1895.