University of Oklahoma Libraries Western History Collections
CREEK (AND EUCHEE) NATION MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
Mitchell, (Mrs.) Alfred Printed materials 1895-1910 1 foot
Collector. Typescripts of articles (1895-1910) and poems (1901-1907) written by the Creek Indian poet Alex Posey. The articles include information on Posey's actions while he was a member of the Dawes Commission, the opposition to allotment by the Snake Clan of Creek Indians, and Creek Indian opposition to Oklahoma statehood.
M-22 BOX 1
1. Letters of Fus Fixico, The Indian Journal, March 16, 1906.
2. Editorial from Checotah Enquirer, October 5, 1906, about Posey and his statements on the Indian vote.
3. Editorial from Red Fork Derrick, June 24, 1905. re: Posey's enrollment of Snake children.
4. Editorial from Henryetta Free-Lance, October 20, 1905. re: Posey's enrollment of Snake children.
5. Editorial from Tulsa Democrat, October 27, 1905. re: Posey's search for Dawes Commission.
6. Editorial from Henryetta Free-Lance, July 21, 1905. re: enrollment of Euchees by Posey.
7. Editorial from Holdenville Tribune, August 2, 1906. re: Posey's problems getting Snakes on Dawes Commission Rolls.
8. News Item from Indian Journal, May 24, 1908. re: bad quality of land full-blood Indians were allotted.
9. News Item from Broken Arrow Ledger, July 27, 1905. re: by Posey- general news of eastern Oklahoma.
10. Editorial from South McAlester Capital, July 27, 1905. re: Snakes’ fight against the government.