University of Oklahoma Libraries Western History Collections
GENERAL NATIVE AMERICAN MANUSCRIPT COLLECTIONS
Battey, Thomas C. Papers 1824-1897 .33 foot
Teacher. Battey's diaries (1872-1884) and correspondence with family members (1873-1874) regarding his experience as a teacher of Indians, along with a book (1876) by Battey entitled Life and Adventures of a Quaker Among the Indians and containing substantial manuscript revision.
1. Andres Martinez to Debora C. Battey, March 30, 1897. From Methvin Institute; expresses appreciation to Battey for Battey's work among the Indians.
2. Battey, Debora C., Some Account of the Last Illness of Thomas Battey, Columbia, Ohio: Wilson Edgerton, 1897. 12 pages.
3. "The Story of White Wolf, A Comanche Chief," tells of White Wolf’s conversion to Christianity. 4 pages.
4. Miscellaneous copies of The Day-Star, edited by A.F. Foster, Mr. Vernon, Iowa.
(a) Vol. II August 1887. Topics discussed:
1. To Those Receiving Papers
2. An Open Letter to President Cleveland
3. Dear Brother…
4. Extracts from Essay by Harris Knight
5. A Superstition
6. Have Patience
7. Christians Pray More
8. A Letter from Jamaica